The soft onion pakoda or medu pakoda as it’s called in Tamil, is a softer version of the regular crunchy onion pakodas and offers a different texture and taste. Great for afternoon snack with a hot cuppa tea!
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups besan (split bengal gram flour)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup fine rava (semolina)
- 12-14 pearl onions (or any onions), finely chopped
- 8-9 green chillies, finely chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves, finely cut
- 10-12 cashew nuts, cut into small pieces
- 5-6 tsp vegetable oil for mixing
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Heat 5-6 tsp oil separately for mixing the dough.
- Heat oil in a deep pan for frying the pakodas.
- While the oil is heating up, mix the besan, rava, and rice flour. Add salt, onions, chillies, curry leaves, and cashews.
- Add the hot oil and mix with a spoon until the oil cools a little. Add just enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Take a spoonful of this mixture and drop it into the oil. Repeat until you have enough pakodas for the oil. Fry them until golden brown.
- Serve the pakodas plain or with mint dip, tamarind dip or ketchup and hot masala chai or coffee.