Spicy Cabbage Curry is an everyday recipe for a vegetarian side. This spicy curry with a hint of sweetness is a great way to include cabbage in your meals. Cabbage is inexpensive as well as nutritious, as it’s rich in calcium and potassium.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 5 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cups onions, cut into 1/2-inch thin strips
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Asafoetida powder, a pinch
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Sugar, a pinch (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 6 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a wide skillet. Add the asafoetida powder, cumin, and mustard seeds. As the seeds start to pop, add the green chillies, ginger, and curry leaves, and fry for a second. Add the turmeric powder, salt, and onions, and saute for 2 minutes on medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Add the curry powder, red chilli powder, and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the cabbage and salt as needed along with 2 tsp oil. Stir well, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Remove the lid and saute the spicy cabbage curry on medium heat until tender.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sugar, stir, and remove from heat.
- Serve the spicy cabbage curry with phulka or any flatbread.