Spinach-Cannellini Beans Curry is a spicy and tangy gravy curry that adds a lot of color as well as nutrition to your meals. This curry goes very well with plain rice and any flatbread. Cannellini beans are a wonderful source of protein and fiber, while spinach is rich in iron.
Cannellini Beans are also known as white kidney beans and are available in all grocery stores. For this recipe, I have used the canned beans as it cuts down the cooking time.
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 8-ounce can of cannellini
- beans (white kidney beans),
- rinsed and drained
- 4 cups, spinach, chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/4-inch piece ginger, chopped
- 7-8 red chillies (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup coconut, freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a shallow pan. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Remove in a bowl and let cool. Grind into a coarse paste with 1/2 cup water along with other masala ingredients, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1/4 cup water and spinach and cook until tender. Add the cannelini beans, salt, and turmeric powder and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground masala paste, and water as needed (depending on the consistency you want), and cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes until the raw flavor is gone.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan for the seasoning, add the mustard seeds and fry until they pop. Pour over the spinach-cannellini beans curry and stir and cover and cook for a minute, and remove from heat.
- Garnish the spinach-cannellini beans curry with chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.