The Sweet Potato-Yogurt Curry is a sweet-sour and spicy dish that’s delicious. The sweet potato is cooked in a yogurt sauce, and tastes great with rice and any Indian bread.
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups sweet potato or yam, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp, cilantro (coriander leaves), chopped
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying the sweet potatoes
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped, or 1 8oz canned tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 pepper corns
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-inch stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Sprinkle the sweet potato with salt and place them in a colander and set aside for 10-15 minutes. Dry with paper towel, and deep-fry until golden brown and set aside.
- Heat 6-8 tsp vegetable in a wide pan. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds. As they start to brown, add the onion, ginger, and garlic.
- Saute until the onion is browned.
- Add all the spices, and some salt, and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook until they are soft.
- Add the yogurt and cook on medium heat until the oil begins to separate.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and cover and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve the sweet potato-yogurt curry hot with basmati rice or any Indian bread.