In this tindora-Tomato Gravy Curry, the tomatoes add a nice tangy taste to the bland tindora (ivy gourd/tondli/dondakaya) and make this dish even more nutritious and healthy.
This is simple and easy vegetarian/vegan recipe.
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 4 cups tindora, cut into 1-inch long thin strips
- 2 1/2 cups tomatoes, cut into medium cubes
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- 4-6 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 4-5 red chillies
- 1 tbsp coconut, freshly grated or dried
- 3 tsp roasted chickpeas/dalia
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 red chilli
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Wash the cut tindora well, removing as many seeds as you can. Cook the tindora with a little salt and water in the microwave for about 6 minutes or until tender.
- In a small pan, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat until aromatic, and set aside. Roast the red chillies and set aside.
- In a small grinder (coffee grinder works fine), grind the sesame seeds, chillies, coconut and dalia into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet, and add the mustard seeds and fry until they start to pop. Add the red chilli and fry for a few seconds. Then add the curry leaves and fry for a second. Add the tindora (along with any remaining water), tomatoes, and turmeric powder and salt if needed, and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the masala powder over the tindora, and cook on low heat until the tindora-tomato gravy curry thickens, and remove from heat.
- Garnish with a little coconut and serve the tindora-tomato gravy curry with plain rice.