Vegetable Rice is a homemade gourmet dish and can be made with any vegetables you like. This is a tasty one-dish meal that’s quick and easy. Leave out the onions for a no-onion version. Served with plain yogurt, pickles, and papadums, this spicy vegetable rice makes a healthy, light meal.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups basmati or jasmine rice
- (or any long grain rice)
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into thin 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onions, cut into thin 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into thin 1-inch pieces
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 3-4 tsp vegetable oil
- 3-4 mint leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Soak basmati or jasmine rice for 10 minutes in about 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes. Drain the rice in a strainer.
- In a rice cooker, add the rice along with 3 1/4 cups of water and cook.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet, and add cumin and mustard seeds. As the seeds start to pop, add the turmeric powder, ginger, onions, and other vegetables along with some salt.
- Sprinkle some water and cover and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
- Add the red chilli powder and garam masala, and saute for a couple more minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the vegetables, mixing gently to avoid breaking the rice. Saute for 2 minutes on low heat. Turn off the heat, and cover and let sit until ready to serve.
- Garnish the vegetable rice with chopped mint leaves, and serve with plain yogurt, pickles, and pappadums.
If cooking the rice separately, add rice, 3 1/4 cups water and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover with a lid, leaving it slightly open for steam to escape. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until rice is cooked.