Vegetable Vermicelli Upma is a delicious breakfast dish that also makes a great after-school snack for kids. You can add any vegetables you want and make it nutritious. This is an easy vegetarian/vegan recipe. Leave out the onions if you want.
If you don’t have Indian vermicelli (like MTR or Savorit brand), you can use spaghetti or angel-hair pasta. Break up the long pasta into half-inch pieces for upma. You may want to check the ingredients before buying to make sure it’s an egg-free product.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups vermicelli (MTR semiya or other brand,
- angel-hair pasta)
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into fine cubes
- 1/2 cup bell-peppers (capsicum), cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup peas (optional)
- 1/2 tsp rasam powder (MTR or other brand)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), chopped
- 3 cups water
- 7-8 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp urad dal (black gram)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 green chillies, finely chopped
- If you’re using long (angel hair) pasta or vermicelli, cut it into 1/4 inch pieces. Roast the vermicelli or pasta in 2 tsp of oil for a couple of minutes, until brown. This prevents the upma from becoming sticky. You can skip this step, if you like.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan, and add the urad dal and mustard seeds. When the seeds start to splutter, add the add green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, and onions, bell-peppers, and carrots, along with some salt.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent, and other vegetables are cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and peas and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the water, and cover. When the water comes to a boil, add some more salt, cilantro leaves, and rasam powder, and vermicelli.
- Cover and cook the vegetable vermicelli upma on low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and cook for 2 more minutes until all the water evaporates.
- Serve the vegetable vermicelli upma hot and either plain or with chutney powder or pickle of your choice.