This yellow lentil soup is not only easy to make but also tastes great! This vegetarian/vegan soup is an easy pressure cooker recipe you can make when you’re rushed for time and need something wholesome and nutritious to eat.
Yellow lentils require a little more time to cook than the red lentils (red gram); be sure to pressure cook them for at least 5 whistles and mash the dal before adding to the veggies.
Yellow lentils and onions impart a slightly sweet taste to this dish.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup split yellow lentils
- (chana dal, split bengal gram)
- 2 cups onions, cut into 1-inch strips
- 4-5 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 green chillies (make a small slit lengthwise)
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp, cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
- Cook the yellow lentils in the pressure cooker with 2 cups water and turmeric powder for about 5 whistles (10-12 minutes).
- In the meantime, heat oil in a saucepan. Add cumin seeds. As they start browning, add the green chillies and curry leaves, and fry for a couple of seconds. Add a pinch of turmeric powder, onions, garlic, and salt and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook for a couple of minutes on low heat. Add the garam masala powder and cook for 2 more minutes on low heat.
- Mash the cooked yellow lentils and add along with the water (you can add more or less water to get the consistency you want) along with salt.
- Cook the yellow lentil soup for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a bit.Add the lime juice, and cilantro just before serving.
- Serve the yellow lentil soup with rice and ghee (clarified butter) or with any bread.