Tomato-Onion Rice is a great option if you’re looking for some quick dinner ideas that are vegetarian. This is an easy recipe and makes a tangy one-dish meal.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 cups tomatoes, cut lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups onions, cut lengthwise and halved
- 2-3 green chillies, slit and halved (adjust to taste)
- 2-3 red chillies, broken into pieces (adjust to taste)
- Asafoetida (hing), a pinch
- 3 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 6-7 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or pressure cooker with 3 cups of water.
- While the rice is cooking, heat oil in a wide skillet. Add hing, chana dal and mustard seeds. As the dal starts browning, add the green and red chillies and saute for a couple of minutes; then add the curry leaves.
- Add the onions and some salt, and cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and some salt, and saute until onions and tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the cooked rice along with salt. Mix well and saute the rice for 2-3 minutes until all the flavors are combined.
- Serve the tomato-onion rice hot with pappadums.